Thursday, January 16, 2014
Guess Who's Back!
Wow! It has been a really long time since I've posted anything to the blog. Its definitely not for lack of motivation, but more because of the birth of my daughter, Violet. Born on New Years Eve, she was the perfect way to cap off a year that included getting married, completing a lot of renovations to the house, and reaching new heights with the Rust Belt Monsters.
So with 2013 bringing all of that, its time to start thinking about 2014 and what I want to accomplish. My daughter comes first and foremost, but with my first child comes a big question of time constraints. There is still a lot I want to do, but the window for doing it has grown much smaller. Things will change and I will adapt, but for now, getting any work done is a struggle. So I'm just going to ramble off some things I'd like to complete or work on in 2014.
1) Finish my Ludum Dare Game: It was the last thing I posted about in 2013. I enjoy the idea of it and think its something I can throw together just to say I have something finished.
2) Learn Toon Boom Animate Pro: I know I had just upgraded my version of Studio, but the idea of making the big leap was calling out far too loud during their last sale. So I took the plunge and am really enjoying it. See my first test above.
3) Learn How To Use Copic Markers: My wife bought me a nice set of Copic Markers for Christmas and its been something I've been wanting to use for years. Now just to get a nice new sketchbook.
4) Redesign Superhero Character: I'm still tweaking the original design and am going back and forth on different changes. I'd love to finish this first because I really want to see him moving around in my level. I'm trying to restrain myself though because that's how I ran into the problems I had last time.
5) Upgrade My Process For Spriting My Art: At the moment I'm just doing a basic shrink and limiting of the palette. I've been looking online and sprite art tutorials. Some of them are showing the limiting of black and white art work that colors are laid on top off. I think I can use a similar process for the animation.
6) Last, but not least, I'd like to post to this blog at least every week day. Its something I enjoy doing and I'd like to think someone is out there looking at it. I'm constantly researching new ways of doing things, so I'll probably dedicate some of the posts to the things that inspire me. Who knows, maybe you'll find the same inspiration.
Well, that's it for now. I need to get some work done before I head home to my daughter. Come back tomorrow for more.