I can't believe its been this long and I still have that ugly "nothing" as my blog header. I really need to make a change to that, but my backlog of work is piling. I need to put in a hard couple of days in and get caught up. Life is just a little hectic right now with things constantly breaking and my work-out schedule changing. Regardless, here are some things from the last couple of days that I kind of like. The top drawing will probably make it into the blog header in one form or the other. Ultimately, I'd like him animated but that feels like more time than I have to spare. Must...find...more...hours...in....the.......day!.
Just a quick sketch at lunch today. I was looking at some of my past drawings and, while I'm happy with a lot of it on a very technical level, it just doesn't have the personality that I want it to. Its about time that I started focusing on the acting and posture of my characters. Hopefully it will get rid of some of the stiffness.
I'm trying to dive back into some RBMC challenges and this is the first step. The concept is Wizard of Oz and my thought is to go more towards characters that other's might not immediately think of. If I get the time, I'd like to do a full rendering, but I'm not sure what my weekend will be like. I'll post updates as they happen.
I've been pretty annoying to those around me for my unwavering love of this show. The basic premise is that the people behind Penny Arcade have filled a house with artists that are eliminated based on the strength of a web comic produced in under 90 minutes. Most episodes feature competitions that range from creating murals, to t-shirts, to how to handle twitter responses. Everything competition helps to strengthen their brand. Its really fun to watch and highly recommend it to any artist who might visit this blog.
After some serious soul searching, I've decided that my first pass at the buildings sucked and I should start over. I was shooting for some kind of art deco/Superman TAS look that just ended up smudgie and looking like clay. So I sat down, reassessed the situation, and decided to go for more modern looking buildings. Drawing the perspective properly was annoying me so dove into Google Sketchup and modeled a quick building. After importing a billboard model, I was able to move the camera into position to get me what I wanted. It would be much nicer if the imported models could be edited, but what can you do.
So this is the BG I'll be using as reference. I'll be updating more once I get the other assets mapped out and some interactivity added. Stay tuned and if you are looking for a good first tutorial on using Google Sketchup (its free!), check out the attached video by the Paper Wings Podcast.
After a few days of banging my head against the wall and the help of the Construct 2 forums, I'm finally able to use a Construct 2 project as my blog header. At the moment, I'm painting some background elements and learning about some of the web based interactivity of the program. Just getting it interactive and centered was headache enough so I'm just happy to be able to get on to the fun part. Hopefully, I'll have something to put up soon and can post a tutorial on how to do it. Stay tuned!