Sunday, June 13, 2010

Chapter 2 Finished!

You'd never think that "Chapter 2" of anything would be hard, but holy crap was I having trouble! I downloaded the chapter examples off of the website and closely compared my examples withe the book's. I think a lot of my errors were simple bracket and syntax things and I corrected the codes.

I have to admit that correcting those mistakes did a lot to help me understand why certain things go where they do. So I finished the silly mood lighting tutorials and played with some variables. Next up is chapter 3, where I get to start working with "Getting Player Input."

In other news (that is only exciting to me), I fixed a problem I was having with one of my test sprites. Once I decided that I would be going for a more "retro" look to my game, I started toying with shrinking down my artwork. I took an early draft of the main character and dropped the height to 100 pixels. The problem I was having dealt with the softening of the edges of the artwork. I was afraid that it would blend too much with the game backgrounds and be counteractive to the aesthetic I was going for. Not fun at all.

Through help on the forum and my own toying around, I realized that my problem was not having the art on a transparent background. My character was still surrounded by a white background on the same layer and it was blending with the edges. I gave the whole thing another shot and it works fine, though I am still toying with the final sprite size of my character. Luckily, it looks like each frame of animation shouldn't be more than 3 or 4 bytes. As I've said before, I'm still early in my studies, but I don't think my file sizes should be a problem.

Well, I'm excited for E3 tomorrow. Last year I went into a media black out (no email or internet) during the day so I could record and experience it live. Worked out pretty well and that is the game plan for tomorrow. Hopefully I can jump into Chapter 3 in the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment